Home

About Kanturk

Images of Kanturk

Historic Kanturk

Accommodation

Edel Quinn Hall

Kanturk Arts Festival

Kanturk Links

Contact

Historic Images of Kanturk

Please e-mail info@kanturk.ie if you have historic images of Kanturk which might be included in this archive, giving a caption and details if possible.

 

Gun carriages outside the RIC barracks, Earl St., during the War of Independence. Note the window over the archway with a camouflaged and loopholed cover[courtesy William Cashin]

Funeral Patrick Clancy (O/C Kanturk Battalion, IRA) who was killed with Sean O’Connell while resisting arrest by joint party of RIC and British Army at Jack O’Connell’s home at Derrygallon in August 1920. They had taken part in an attack on soldiers guarding a plane downed by accident near Kanturk the previous day. Note that the parade crosses to the left-hand side of the street while passing the RIC barracks. Also note that the railings on what is now O'Brien St. Park have been removed - they were used by the RIC to barricade their barracks. [courtesy William Cashin]

Kanturk football team, 1897 [courtesy William Cashin]

 

Kanturk Railway Station c. 1950, with Mushramore in the background [courtesy Patrick O'Sullivan]

 

Presentation to World Ploughing Champion, Thady Kelleher, by Chairman of Kanturk Community Council, Bill Cashin, , 1984. To the left is John O'Keeffe, Chairman, and Jack Nagle to the right [courtesy Bill Cashin]

 

Picture from the back of Strand St. with Darrell Cottages in the background. Date unknown. [courtesy Patrick O'Sullivan]

 

Egmont Row

 

Barry's Mill, which was built from 1805 and later demolished due to it becoming derelict. 'Park House' - the miller's residence to the left - is still in existence, along with the ruins of Bourke's Mill in the right background. [courtesy Patrick O'Sullivan]

 

The ruins of Barry's Mill, 1962, along with the Park House. The location is upriver of the Metal Bridge, at the site of the current Town Park. The gentleman in the foreground is Mr. William O'Connor who provided funds for the purchase of land for the park.

 

A Nationalist gathering, 1913, outside the AOH Hall (Ancient Order of Hibernians), Church St.

 

The Metal Bridge, 1926, with the railings swept away after floods.

 

The railway gates closed across Percival St., and the pedestrian bridge over the track. The line was closed in 1963. Railway pillars and gates still exist on the site.

 

Kanturk Fife and Drum Band, established in 1948, with new uniforms at Kanturk Show, August 14th, 1949, along with Rev. Dr. Twomey.

 

Old building, Marble Arch (date unknown)

 

LDF parade, 1940

LDF (Local Defence Forces) Parade, 1940 [courtesy William Cashin]

 

Founder Members of Kanturk Show, 1920

                                               Home ....